Google Cloud Print May be Disabling Some Epson Printers
The Google Cloud Print mobile-printing solution – which enables users to print not just from a PC connected to a printer, but also from smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks – appears to be disabling some Epson printers and All-in-Ones. Various users reported on the Chromebook Central help forum that Epson printers have suddenly begun shutting themselves down when connected to Google Cloud Print, then turning back on. The problem at first appeared to be an Epson firmware issue, but is said not to be the case now.
Epson is said to have given one user these instructions:
- Power-off the printer.
- Power-off the router.
- Power-on the printer.
- The printer should now start-up normally to the home screen. From the control panel, reset the printer to default settings.
- Power-on the router.
- Reconnect the printer to the network.
- Don’t connect the printer to google cloud services in the future.
The printers can still be used, but not with Google Cloud Print. A Google employee stated that Google and Epson are aware of the issue and are working together to resolve the problem.
Affected Epson printers currently include:
- The WorkForce WF-2530, WF-2540, WF-3620, WF-3640, WF-7510, and WF-7520.
- the WorkForce Pro WF-4630, WF-4640, WF-5110, WF-5190, WF-5620, WF-5690, WF-6090, WF-6530, WF-6590, WF-8090, WF-8590, WF-R4640, WF-R5190, WF-R5690, WF-R8590, WP-4520, WP-4530, WP-4533, WP-4540, and WP-4590.
- XP-300, XP-310, XP-320, XP-330, XP-400, XP-410, XP-420, XP-430, XP-434, XP-600, XP-610, XP-620, XP-630, XP-640, XP-800, XP-810, XP-820, XP-830, XP-850, XP-860, XP-950, and XP-960.the Epson WF-4630, XP-215, XP-415, XP-610, WF-545, WF-845, and WF-7610. We’ll report more on the problem as new information becomes available.
Users can visit an Epson support Web page here for more information.